Thursday, July 09, 2020

Across Covid America - Tour of National Parks 2020 - Day 5

Day 5
11765 mileage
9:09 A.M.
2475 steps



Now we head west through the expanse of what I used to teach my students as the Great Plains. Vast open stretches of land, flat for the most part and very few trees. Where huge herds of buffalo once roamed among the Native American tribes that revered them, the Sioux, the Blackfoot, the Comanche, and the Pawnee. Total History Geek Moment. 


Not much has changed, I can tell you. The land is indeed open, as far as the eye can see on both sides. Along Hwy 36 out to Marysville we start seeing these metal cutouts of a horse and rider. After a while we notice the historical markers and road signs announcing that we are following the Pony Express Highway. The one that only ran for a little over a year, but still! I am imagining riders galloping along the same road that I travel. We paused, okay, I pretty much insisted that we stop, in Marysville where they had a Pony Express museum. Not open. Loud sigh, but I won't let that stop me. I peer in the open windows like a creeper just to see what's inside. 
There's an original Pony Express station still in its original location at Hollenberg. We go there next. They had some great pamphlets outside but weren't open. 





Our next exciting adventure stop is at the Geographical Center of the U.S. Which is outside Mankato, KS (Little House on the Prairie reference???}. I've been to the Four Corners Monument in Madawaska, Me only because I have family that lives there. It's situated in this nice park with a picnic area and great stone markers. 

This? The Geographical Center of the United States? A road sign. Stuck in front of the Sweet Home Cemetary established in 1880. Hm, not what I was expecting. 


G pulled out the map he created and asked which direction I wanted to head over to Mount Rushmore. We could head up towards Sioux Falls and then over or we could drive across to the Nebraska Pan Handle and up past the Agate Fossil Beds and into SD from there. My immediate reaction was, 'Dinosaurs!' So I chose that direction. 

Right about now we are feeling the effects of being in the car for so long. We have reverted to our childhood memories of long road trips. Harry Potter playing on Audible, G playing State License Plates, and me suggesting a DQ stop every few hours. Driving can be mind-numbing. 

1 comment:

Jack D said...

LMAO!!! yes road trips... This is fun!!!